Monday, March 2, 2015

Re-imagining Klaus




Klaus from Nicole Horsman on Vimeo.
Klaus is an original stop motion I created that follows an old man's journey through a dark forest.  The piece was entirely done in cut paper and was a treat to work on.  I had fallen in love with this idea of an old clock peddler walking or miles and miles just to sell his clocks.  Although I had finished the short animation, it didn't seem resolved.  This is why I am re-imagining Klaus to make a longer more developed piece.



Klaus originally was a character I had thought to explore because I wanted something slightly related to my family history.  I am a mutt; a combination of German, Austrian, English, and Irish (Combine all of this with living in New England and you get one pale human being).  Looking into my German heritage I found the Ührschlepper, German for clock peddler.  Clock peddlers were people who made clocks and then walked all across Europe to sell them.      







I needed to come up with a better story.  So here's the Nicole method of brainstorming and coming up with a plot that tries to achieve full true human emotion.

Step 1. Get a note pad and paper.

Step 2. Sit in a quiet room.

Step 3.  Stare at a wall and write down everything that comes to mind, even if its completely irrelevant and stupid you can laugh at it later.

I did this for about a month and a half until, EUREKA! A story had found its way onto my notepad.  Even though this process took a long time.  The real work begins after this.  

*New posts every Monday*


No comments:

Post a Comment